Archives for posts with tag: button back chair

IMG_1096

IMG_1109

I’ve been so busy over the last six months that I haven’t had time to post any of my work on my blog.  I’ve finally got a spare moment to show you my latest project.  This buttoned back chair had been in the client’s family for a long time and needed some TLC as the sprung seat was falling out the base.

 

 

I re-webbed the seat, re-sprung it and re-stuffed it.  With new fabric and trim, and shallow buttoning (like it was before) I was really pleased with the end result – it definitely now has a lease of new life !

Advertisements
Before

Before

‘   I must admit this is a project that I was rather reluctant to take on, as I’d heard ‘egg’ chairs are difficult to reupholster.  However a friend of mine had been badgering me for a while to   have  a go at recovering it.   The chairs are made of polystyrene with a small square base being the only place to attach the material to.  The dog had had a good chew on one of the arms, so it needed repairing too.

I patched the arm with a bit of polystyrene from a local craft shop, and had a new foam seat made up.  The most challenging part was getting the concave shape right.  When making the cushion for the back of the chair, I found I needed to make the front of the cushion smaller than the back, to get in to curve nicely.

Anyway I’m pretty pleaseed with the end result.  Another friend had seen the chair in it’s original state and had commented that she didn’t think it was worth saving, however even she admitted it looked great now that it had been updated!

After

After