Archives for posts with tag: buttoning

IMG_1096

IMG_1109

I’ve been so busy over the last six months that I haven’t had time to post any of my work on my blog.  I’ve finally got a spare moment to show you my latest project.  This buttoned back chair had been in the client’s family for a long time and needed some TLC as the sprung seat was falling out the base.

 

 

I re-webbed the seat, re-sprung it and re-stuffed it.  With new fabric and trim, and shallow buttoning (like it was before) I was really pleased with the end result – it definitely now has a lease of new life !

Advertisements
Before

Before

‘   I must admit this is a project that I was rather reluctant to take on, as I’d heard ‘egg’ chairs are difficult to reupholster.  However a friend of mine had been badgering me for a while to   have  a go at recovering it.   The chairs are made of polystyrene with a small square base being the only place to attach the material to.  The dog had had a good chew on one of the arms, so it needed repairing too.

I patched the arm with a bit of polystyrene from a local craft shop, and had a new foam seat made up.  The most challenging part was getting the concave shape right.  When making the cushion for the back of the chair, I found I needed to make the front of the cushion smaller than the back, to get in to curve nicely.

Anyway I’m pretty pleaseed with the end result.  Another friend had seen the chair in it’s original state and had commented that she didn’t think it was worth saving, however even she admitted it looked great now that it had been updated!

After

After

Before

Before

After

After

I have just reupholstered this lovely little chair.  My client bought it at auction.  The pale green fabric was faded and torn, but the rest of the chair was in good condition.  When I stripped it, I found that the back was stuffed with some kind of straw which fell apart, so I ended up restuffing the back with horsehair.  Previously the chair was finished with a number of different trims – two types or braid plus studs at the front.  This all looked a bit fussy, so we decided to use piping made out of the same red top fabric and then kept the studs at the front of the chair.  I’m really pleased with how the chair turned out, as I must admit, deep buttoning sends me a bit crazy.  I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I’m never happy with the positioning of buttons and end up redoing them far too many times !

This chair was the final piece I learnt to reupholster at my local Adult Education centre. Having a curved iron frame instead of a wooden frame, made it quite a different kind of project to work on. To begin with, all the iron work had to be wrapped in hessian, this gives you some thing to secure the various layers to later on. It required an awful lot of horsehair for it’s stuffing and really was quite a time consuming project.

The plan had been to get it to it’s calico stage and then put it up for sale on my website, so that the buyer could choose a fabric for it to be upholstered in. However I was impatient and wanted to see the project finished. I set out to find a neutral fabric, so that it would be easy to sell, however I couldn’t bring myself to cover it in something uninspiring, and so opted for this beautiful botanical print from Fired Earth. I was a little worried that it won’t work well with the buttoning on the back of the chair, but in actual fact, the random pattern worked well and I was delighted with the end result.

Half tempted to keep this chair, I was quite disappointed when a buyer came along and loved the fabric I’d covered it in and wanted the chair.

Blanket boxes are quite straight forward and fun to tranform.   I recently bought from the Friday Ads, a cheap painted MDF toy box.  It  had a thin layer of foam on the lid, covered with a childrens fabric. 

I added an extra layer of white felt padding to the lid to give it a softer rounder shape, and covered it firstly in calico.  I covered the sides of the box, inside and out, in a layer of polyester wadding, again to soften the sides.  I then coverd the outsides and the top of the lid in a thick purple fabric.  I covered the insides of the box in a satiny lining fabric.  I had to create a base for the box from plywood, that the lining fabric could be wrapped around and placed on the floor of the box to give it a neat and tight finish.

The reupholstered box now provides really useful storage at the end of my bed, for all my fabric remnants.

Here is another blanket box that I finished for someone this week.  This one had been covered in fabric before and had a buttoned lid. With it’s faded fabric and fringe around the bottom, it was looking a little dated.   

Again I added some polyester wadding to soften the sides, inside and out.  The buttons on the lid were of the nailed variety, instead of having a metal loop at the back.  As I wanted to button the lid in the tradition way, I needed to drill holes through the lid where the buttons were to go, so that the buttoning twine could be pulled through to the other side and secured.   This particular box had 23 buttons, which I kept with, however  you could change the number and positioning of buttons to give a different look, if you so wished.                

The outside of the box was reupholstered in a lilac fabric, with the buttons covered in a contrasting lime green colour, which gave the box a more contemporary look.  Inside the box was lined with a really beautiful floral fabric.