Archives for posts with tag: reupholstered chairs

IMG_1096

IMG_1109

I’ve been so busy over the last six months that I haven’t had time to post any of my work on my blog.  I’ve finally got a spare moment to show you my latest project.  This buttoned back chair had been in the client’s family for a long time and needed some TLC as the sprung seat was falling out the base.

 

 

I re-webbed the seat, re-sprung it and re-stuffed it.  With new fabric and trim, and shallow buttoning (like it was before) I was really pleased with the end result – it definitely now has a lease of new life !

Advertisements
Before

Before

‘   I must admit this is a project that I was rather reluctant to take on, as I’d heard ‘egg’ chairs are difficult to reupholster.  However a friend of mine had been badgering me for a while to   have  a go at recovering it.   The chairs are made of polystyrene with a small square base being the only place to attach the material to.  The dog had had a good chew on one of the arms, so it needed repairing too.

I patched the arm with a bit of polystyrene from a local craft shop, and had a new foam seat made up.  The most challenging part was getting the concave shape right.  When making the cushion for the back of the chair, I found I needed to make the front of the cushion smaller than the back, to get in to curve nicely.

Anyway I’m pretty pleaseed with the end result.  Another friend had seen the chair in it’s original state and had commented that she didn’t think it was worth saving, however even she admitted it looked great now that it had been updated!

After

After

It’s such a shame to get rid of a favourite, comfy armchair, just because it’s looking dated.  Instead it can be given a totally different look with new top fabric. Here are two armchairs I have transformed recently.  The first has been given a new look with grey velvety fabric and piping in the same fabric but in a contrasting electric blue colour.

020 (2)      Before030

 After

The second armchair has been given a new look so that it can have a new use in the nursery as a very comfortable nursing chair.  It has been re-covered in a lovely pale green fabric from Susie Watson Designs.

006 (3)     Before

 

039

                               After

This chair was the final piece I learnt to reupholster at my local Adult Education centre. Having a curved iron frame instead of a wooden frame, made it quite a different kind of project to work on. To begin with, all the iron work had to be wrapped in hessian, this gives you some thing to secure the various layers to later on. It required an awful lot of horsehair for it’s stuffing and really was quite a time consuming project.

The plan had been to get it to it’s calico stage and then put it up for sale on my website, so that the buyer could choose a fabric for it to be upholstered in. However I was impatient and wanted to see the project finished. I set out to find a neutral fabric, so that it would be easy to sell, however I couldn’t bring myself to cover it in something uninspiring, and so opted for this beautiful botanical print from Fired Earth. I was a little worried that it won’t work well with the buttoning on the back of the chair, but in actual fact, the random pattern worked well and I was delighted with the end result.

Half tempted to keep this chair, I was quite disappointed when a buyer came along and loved the fabric I’d covered it in and wanted the chair.

I think chairs always look good in pairs.  Particularly on either side of a console table.

This pair I recovered recently for someone, and as always I think they look very smart in the striped fabric.

Sets of dining chairs are easily picked up very cheaply from auction or the local paper.  Why not buy a set and them split them up into pairs.