Archives for posts with tag: upholstery in tunbridge wells

I held the second of my all day Workshops on Friday 5th February, at Eridge village hall, on the Kent / East Sussex border. I think everyone will agree that it was a very productive day.  We had a number of large projects that are now very near to completion, and others that we made a good start on.

I hope everyone came away inspired after seeing what the other students were working on.

The next all day Workshop will be on Friday 29th April 2016 – book now to confirm your place.

Bookings are also now being taking for my weekly summer term classes, which commence week beginning 18th April 2016.

Advertisements

IMG_1096

IMG_1109

I’ve been so busy over the last six months that I haven’t had time to post any of my work on my blog.  I’ve finally got a spare moment to show you my latest project.  This buttoned back chair had been in the client’s family for a long time and needed some TLC as the sprung seat was falling out the base.

 

 

I re-webbed the seat, re-sprung it and re-stuffed it.  With new fabric and trim, and shallow buttoning (like it was before) I was really pleased with the end result – it definitely now has a lease of new life !

Finished chaise

Finished chaise

This beautiful chaise had belonged to it’s owners grandmother and had great sentimental value.      When  I stripped it we found it was riddled with wordworm, which was live.  It had got to the stage where it was causing the wood to disintegrate and therefore one of legs had come off.Woodworm can be treated with a special spray, and indeed must be treated, otherwise it will continue and can spread to other pieces of furniture.

I re-webbed the base of the chaise and covered it.  Made a large piped box cushion to go on top, and a bolster cushion.  The end was re-webbed and padded and then covered and trimmed with braid.

It has now been transformed with this smart checked fabric and hopefully been saved from further deterioration.

woodworm

woodworm

Before

Before

‘   I must admit this is a project that I was rather reluctant to take on, as I’d heard ‘egg’ chairs are difficult to reupholster.  However a friend of mine had been badgering me for a while to   have  a go at recovering it.   The chairs are made of polystyrene with a small square base being the only place to attach the material to.  The dog had had a good chew on one of the arms, so it needed repairing too.

I patched the arm with a bit of polystyrene from a local craft shop, and had a new foam seat made up.  The most challenging part was getting the concave shape right.  When making the cushion for the back of the chair, I found I needed to make the front of the cushion smaller than the back, to get in to curve nicely.

Anyway I’m pretty pleaseed with the end result.  Another friend had seen the chair in it’s original state and had commented that she didn’t think it was worth saving, however even she admitted it looked great now that it had been updated!

After

After

Before

Before

After

After

I have just reupholstered this lovely little chair.  My client bought it at auction.  The pale green fabric was faded and torn, but the rest of the chair was in good condition.  When I stripped it, I found that the back was stuffed with some kind of straw which fell apart, so I ended up restuffing the back with horsehair.  Previously the chair was finished with a number of different trims – two types or braid plus studs at the front.  This all looked a bit fussy, so we decided to use piping made out of the same red top fabric and then kept the studs at the front of the chair.  I’m really pleased with how the chair turned out, as I must admit, deep buttoning sends me a bit crazy.  I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I’m never happy with the positioning of buttons and end up redoing them far too many times !

It’s such a shame to get rid of a favourite, comfy armchair, just because it’s looking dated.  Instead it can be given a totally different look with new top fabric. Here are two armchairs I have transformed recently.  The first has been given a new look with grey velvety fabric and piping in the same fabric but in a contrasting electric blue colour.

020 (2)      Before030

 After

The second armchair has been given a new look so that it can have a new use in the nursery as a very comfortable nursing chair.  It has been re-covered in a lovely pale green fabric from Susie Watson Designs.

006 (3)     Before

 

039

                               After

                I have have recently finished working on the above tranformation.  It’s another great example of what can be done with a tatty old chair that was destined for the dump. Stripping this chair back to it’s frame was not the pleasantest of jobs.  The stuffing was dusty and reminded me of chopped up straw, I was half expecting to find some small animal hibernating inside ! Everything was discarded apart from the tension springs in the base.  The chair was restuffed with fibre, and a new foam cushion was purchased for the seat. One word of warning when rescueing such chairs – make sure the frame is sound.  It can be a little hard to tell, and I must admit I hadn’t tried sitting in this chair in it’s orginal state.  When I started to bang tacks home in one of the sides, the wood in the side frame couldn’t take it and completely split in two.  I had to undo alot of my work  and take it to be repaired – very annoying ! Anyway, once put back together and the upholstery completed, I was very satified with the end result.   The large pattern on the fabric (Fitzroy in Amethyst from Laura Ashley) meant that each piece of fabric had to be very carefully centred, but it works very well, and now has pride of place in my bedroom.